Why this Event?
A combined walking tour that allows you to discover the most important historical places and buildings of Venice. This guided tour is divided into two parts. From a centrally located meeting point you will be lead by a professional guide through the most characteristic places around the areas of Saint Mark's Square and Castello. After this one and a half hour walk, you will be escorted into the Doge's Palace, once the seat of the power of the Republic of Venice. The guided walk inside the palace lasts one hour.
The tour starts with a historical introduction of St. Marks’s Square, and its architectural delights, allowing you to discover the history of the majestic St. Mark’s Basilica, the illustrious Doge’s Palace, once the seat of the power of the Republic of Venice, and the extraordinary, renaissance clock tower.
Leaving the square, you will be guided into the residential Castello area, allowing you to discover this part of Venice in all of its elegance, through its labyrinth of narrow alleys - “calli”, many bridges, winding canals and wide picturesque squares - “campi”.
You can expect to discover the Santa Maria Formosa Square, one of the largest squares in Venice with its church, named after its visitation of the Holy Virgin; the Saints Giovanni and Paolo Square where you will be able to admire the famous church, the resting place of several Doges; and the equestrian monument of Bartolomeo Colleoni, an Italian mercenary Captain. The former residence of Marco Polo, probably the most famous Venetian merchant, and the Malibran theatre are also part of the itinerary.
Once inside the Palace, you will visit the halls where the Duke (Doge) and his Council controlled the fate of the Serene Republic, whilst surrounded by hundreds of artistic masterpieces and discover the political history of Venice and its people. You will be able to admire the paintings realised by some of the most important artists of the Italian Renaissance, amongst them, the world's largest oil painting by Tintoretto. Passing through the famous Bridge of Sighs, you will reach the new prisons.
This guided tour concludes in the courtyard of the Doge's Palace. Here it will be possible for you to stay longer inside the Palace absorbing the history and mystery of days gone by.
- Guided tour of the area covering Saint Mark's Square and Castello;
- Guided tour of the Doge's Palace;
- Admission fees and skip the line entrance to the Doge’s Palace;
- Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary;
- Live tour commentary provided in English, French, Spanish or German.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off;
- Food and drink;
- Optional gratuities;
- Hidden itineraries in the Doge's Palace.
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to booked tour start time;
- This tour is not suitable if you have limited mobility;
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
- Backpacks are not allowed inside the Doge's Palace;
- You should wear comfortable walking shoes;
- This tour operates rain or shine;
- Tour maybe affected in case of high tides;
- Saint Mark's Square;
- Saint Maria Formosa Square;
- Saints Giovanni and Paolo Square;
- External of Marco Polo's House and the Malibran Theatre;
- The Doge's Palace.
You may also like
Special Offer Price